M A T T H I E U F A U R Y
© Matthieu Faury 2018
Si les châteaux m’étaient contés … Tarascon 2015.
H + la véritable histoire
En bas - visite d'atelier, deuxième partie. Janvier 2014
En haut - visite d'atelier, première partie. Janvier 2014
I do installations using my own sculptures. I create scenarios that are not fictional, but are attached to the stories of the world in which we live.
From a narrative point of view I like to change the meaning of a work through simple details, enabling it to derive from the individual to the collective, from animal to ecology, from male to transgender, from ancient times to current politics. All invery elaborate manners but still visually rather discrete.
Humanity is my subject. I study what defines it, including its opposition to animals. What is human? Is there a clear border between human and animal? Between man and woman? Individual and group?
The figure of the ape is interesting because this is the alter ego of the human, sometimes mocking sometimes tragic. It reveals and transfigures our own condition. The Simianitus, with its many variations, has allowed me to show the world through the intrusive or astonished eyes of another primate. It also unveils certain contradictions of the human character. My approach may appear also political, deeply rooted in the present, questioning the foundations or the future of our life together. The extruded Temple then provides some answers: we are One despite our divisions. Here the format of the work, shaped by extrusion, serves as the substance and makes a statement.
My style is multi faceted. For me a work is successful when it addresses several issues. The choice of materials is dictated by the internal logic of the work, which enfolds an eclecticism, which may seem surprising at first.
Yet recurring forces form a visible frame in my work: reconstructuring, blurring, internal and external views of the subject, choice of lighter colored materials, taste for duality and heterogeneous associations, scenes composed like three dimensional paintings, in which the viewer plays a role, either as a participant, observer or witness.
My works through both their techniques and their words are a sort of bold and unique exegesis of the world and of our own nature.
· NEVER///AGAIN, Maison de Fogasses, Avignon
· Metaphysics of helmets, Town hall and castle esplanade, Baux-de-Provence
· To protect Art- archeological site ofGlanum, Saint-Rémy-de-Provence
· Animals architects - Hôtel de Sade, Saint-Rémy-de-Provence - Festival APART
· Apollos Helmet - Pont du Gard
· Simianitus - Galerie LC, Paris
· Dualities - Galerie Fugitive, Paris
· J.Zogo Gallery, Le Plateau, Abidjan
· Monumental confrontation, path of contemporary sculptures, Linz and Pascal Lainé galleries, Ménerbes
· Tombés des nues, Chapelle du Grand Couvent, Cavaillon
· 25 years of contemporary art, Galerie Pascal Lainé, Ménerbes
· beasts, monsters andcreatures, dialoguearound themedieval andcontemporary art - Castle of Tarascon
· Hyper*corps -Courtyard of the Municipal Archives, Avignon
· Contemporary Vanitas- Galerie LC, Paris
· Art/Design - Maatgallery, Paris
· Maatgallery, Paris
· About Congo, Noisy-le-Grand, Espace Michel Simon
Catalog of the exhibition Tombés des nues, 2013
Catalog of the exhibition Métaphysique des Casques, 2012 (ISBN 978-2-9541311-0-8)
Simianitus, 2011 (ISBN 978-2-7466-4031-3)
Catalog of the Festival APART 2011
Fine art school of Versailles, 1991-1993
Studio of Maurizio Toffoletti, 1993